It’s been awhile since I made these GF Espresso Double Chocolate Brownies, when I got a lot of feedback from some very keen & eager samplers! With Valentine’s Day fast approaching my thoughts naturally turn to sweets, desserts (not that I need an excuse..!) and most notably, chocolate. I decided to take the feedback, included my own, and come up with another adaptation. A few tweaks, if you will, for an ultimate gooey brownie. It also happens to be gluten free.
Do most people know that brownies are a one
dish… make that one pot recipe…?
It doesn’t get much easier!
The changes I made…?
- Subbing in brown sugar for some of the white; just like in cookies, they help to ensure softness – or in this case, gooey-ness! And they add to the taste.
- I also increased the amount of espresso (chocolate + coffee = best mates)
- I added the cocoa & espresso powders when the mix was warm – to start to activate the flavours (much like heating spices in hot oil when cooking!)
With the scent of warm chocolate & coffee wafting up during mixing….
… it was a sign of good things to come!
Edible Chocolate Valentine, anyone…?
- 2 oz/60 grams 70% dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 TBSP dark cocoa powder
- 1 TBSP instant espresso powder
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (use GF)
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- extras: 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup toasted & chopped walnuts
- or top with chocolate frosting
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- Using 2 - 3” mini heart shaped baking pans, spray about 10 of them and set on a baking sheet pan (you want close to the equivalent of an 8x8” baking pan.)
- In a heavy bottomed medium saucepan over very low heat, melt the chocolate and butter.
- Remove from heat, stir in sugars, cocoa & espresso powder and let stand for 5 minutes, to cool down.
- To the cooled chocolate mix, beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Sift in the starch, baking powder & salt
- Add chocolate chips or nuts if using.
- Pour into the prepared mini pans - filling no more than half full (use a measuring cup or jug with a pouring spout!)
- Bake for approx. 12 - 14 minutes, until just set in the center.
- Let cool; they will settle in the middle, remaining soft & gooey.
- Top with sifted icing sugar, chocolate frosting, or as desired.
- *Perfect for your special occasion, use any shape of mini/disposable pan - just be sure to spray them well!