If you think you need an outdoor barbecue or grill to enjoy everybody’s favourite tastes of summer…? Think again!
When you’re craving the taste of a beef burger – and by that I mean a GOOD beef burger – all you need other than some good beef, is a cast iron skillet and a good barbecue sauce. Hold pretty much all the extras when what you want to taste is beef. This could in fact be called “a burger for guys who LOVE the taste of beef!” The secret..? Like many things in life, is to keep it simple. Beef. Barbecue Sauce (preferably homemade). A few slivers of onion cooking under the burger. Hearty grilled bread.
I promise you when I say this was the best burger I’ve ever made. What can I say… I’ve finally found the joys of a smashed burger!! Smashing = more contact of beef to heat source = more caramelization = great taste!
Even if you do have an outdoor grill, and especially if it’s one whose size will rival that of a small car, you might not want to fire it up to cook for one or two people. Besides, you couldn’t really do a smashed burger on a grated barbecue grill. You could however, put your trusty cast iron skillet on the grill! Boom.
What to do for optimum flavour…?
- Get the skillet good and hot, and by that I mean you might wanna-turn-off-the-smoke-alarm hot.
- A few slivered onions under the smashed beef will add tons of flavour and soak up the cooking juice. I used 3 ounces per burger.
- Using, again I can’t emphasize this enough – a good quality barbecue sauce.
- Keeping the ‘bun’ simple, but tasty. One slice of nice thick bread like Calabrese, brushed with olive oil and grilled – or at least warmed in another frying pan.
- Serve with more fab barbecue sauce. That’s it!