If necessity is the mother of invention, I say… bring it on! When we want what we want and when we want it – without having to turn on the oven – improvise. You can of course make great pizza on your outdoor bbq or grill, so why not on a grill pan on the stove! If you don’t want to heat up the kitchen or if the weather is nasty and if you’re wanting something quick and made with relative ease, this is the way to go.
First things first, turn off your smoke detector – especially if it’s finicky. Then put your grill pan on and heat it while you roll out your dough and prep your toppings. Get the pan good and hot!
Then, remember these very important things, and you’ll never go wrong:
- roll the dough out as thinly as possible – or it just won’t cook through
- go easy on the toppings or it just won’t work, in fact it’ll probably fall apart
- lightly oil the dough to add flavour – using a decent olive oil
- if your cheese is not melted-ooey-gooey enough, cover the pan with a pot lid or foil for a couple of minutes
- turn your smoke detector back on when you’re finished
Try this pizza dough recipe for a small amount – which can always be doubled if you want more. You really only need 1/4 to 1/3 cup of dough but you can always freeze the extra for next time and as we all know, there’s always a next time for pizza! Buon appetito~