There’s nothing like the immense satisfaction of conjuring up a dish that’s not only oh-so-cleverly used up ingredients that were on hand, but that ends up being so damn good – you just can’t wait to make it again! This one-pan dinner of Pesto Roasted Chicken & Baby Potatoes can be ready in just about an hour – with most of that being oven time. The chicken & potatoes will crisp, and the peppers will roast to mellow sweetness that pairs incredibly well with the pesto.
This is one of those recipes that just… happened. For a few days I’d been eying up what was really a very small amount of homemade basil pesto, leftover, loitering in my fridge. I have used pesto in bruschetta, and pizza, and yes numerous times with linguine, and even with cheese tortellini. All delicious, of course, especially when the pesto is made with fresh, summer basil. But I wanted something new…
Trying it on chicken…? It just seemed right, adding something as herbal and fragrant as pesto, to the blank canvas that is chicken. Next..? What’s called the no-brainer of adding some fresh, seasonal veg. Dinner. Done.
I went with cute, mini baby potatoes and sweet red peppers, but you could switch things up to use other veg; just be sure they’ll cook in the allotted time. For the chicken my preference is always dark meat, bone in and skin on… please! If you prefer white, go ahead but try to use the bone-in, and yes, skin on pieces because you’ll get maximum flavour. You don’t have to eat the skin. I never do.
Go ahead and try this one-pan dish of Pesto Roasted Chicken & Baby Potatoes next time you need a fabulous dinner that’s as tasty to eat, as it is easy to make!
- 4 pc chicken, bone in & skin on
- 1 lb. 1" mini potatoes, scrubbed, skins left on, cut into halves (or in quarters if larger than 1")
- 1 - 2 red bell or shepherd peppers, cut into chunks
- 4 teaspoons approximate basil pesto Genovese
- Salt for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, for easier clean up. Make sure it comes up enough to cover the sides - and keep the cooking fats inside!
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper. Spread each piece with one teaspoon of pesto, rubbing in with your hands. Place chicken on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, add cut up potatoes & peppers, season lightly with oil, salt & pepper. Scatter seasoned vegetables around the baking pan. Place in oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes until chicken is golden brown and potatoes are tender. Bast occasionally with the pan juices, and move the veg about for even cooking.
- If chicken is done and potatoes are not, remove chicken (cover with foil to keep it warm) and put baking pan back in the oven to finish cooking the potatoes until fork tender.
- *Tip: use a good quality store bought basil pesto if needed.