My recent post on easy ultimate pizza dough had me thinking about how many pizzas (pizze, for the Italian plural) I’ve made over the years; how many varieties, how many different crusts, how many people I’ve fed with them, AND, how many places – even different countries – I’ve eaten them.
All of a sudden… I’m flashing back to a dinner party, many, god-oh-so-many-years ago when the host made a dessert pizza. Sigh. All I remember is that it was sweet, had fruit and yes, was shaped like a pizza pie…
… all of that led to this!
I’ve taken the Clubhouse recipe that I adapted for ultimate gluten free espresso double chocolate brownies because it really is ultimate & fabulous, and tweaked it to make this Nutella & Pistachio Brownie Pizza. Still delicious. Still gluten free.
Brownie batter is very customizable – just like pizza! While I don’t usually add nuts to my brownies, they bring a lot to this dessert pizza, with pistachios in particular adding texture and colour. Don’t forget… we do eat with our eyes first!
You could also use walnuts or pecans, but chop them first so they’re not so heavy that they sink. Sprinkle them on after you’ve spread the batter in the pan, rather than mixing them in. This of course is purely for the visual pop, to really make it ‘look’ like pizza.
If for some reason, although I can’t think why, Nutella is not your thing… you could finish the dessert pie with a drizzle of melted chocolate. White chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate – or whatever combo suits you.
This bakes in just a few minutes, so stay close to the oven; even a minute too long, and it will over bake. (If that does happen, you could use it in something like a trifle). Once it is cooked let it cool thoroughly, and you’ll get nice, neat slices. It will be fragile so lift it out carefully, using a thin spatula, or pie lifter.
It really doesn’t need anything extra, but you could embellish as your desire takes you: whipped cream, ice cream, strawberries, raspberries, etc. Try this recipe for Nutella & Pistachio Chocolate Brownie Pizza, and it just might become a favourite in your house.
Makes 1-12″ dessert pie
- 2 ounces/60 grams, 70% dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use gluten free)
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 gluten free baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- Garnish: drizzle of Nutella (or your fave chocolate)
- Preheat your oven to 350° and butter a 12” pizza pan.
- In a heavy bottomed medium saucepan over very low heat, melt the chocolate and butter.
- Remove from heat, stir in sugars & cocoa and let stand for 5 minutes to cool down.
- In a small bowl combine the starch, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- To the cooled chocolate mix, beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add in vanilla.
- Stir in the starch mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Bake for 6 - 8 minutes, checking for doneness at the 6 minute mark.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Drizzle with Nutella. Cut into wedges to serve.
- **This can easily come out under or over baked, so watch your time carefully. It's done when the center is just set, and no longer jiggles when you move the pan.