If you read this blog you’ll know that I’m a big fan of vegetables. And desserts… but not always in that order. When it comes to veg I really do enjoy eating them, which I’m sure started in childhood, eating what we had. In other words, what we grew on the farm.
Usually the only way I (can) eat broccoli is when it’s sautéed in garlic and olive oil, which admittedly, is an enjoyable thing to do to most vegetables. This recipe for Broccoli Caesar Salad, which I have served to enthusiastic eaters, has been updated with an egg less Caesar Dressing from Jamie Oliver’s Everyday Super Food cookbook. Healthier, much lighter and with a lot of zing, it really is a waistline friendly update. It also skirts the issue of using raw egg yolks, traditionally required for the dressing.
Always looking for not only new ways to cook the veg I like, but for ways to do something to the ones I’m not so crazy about, the use of yogurt in place of the egg yolks results in a thinner, lighter dressing – without sacrificing any of the taste. The dressing keeps well and thickens as it sits, so it’s a good make ahead. Once you’ve cooked or steamed the broccoli by your favourite method and have the garnishes ready, it’s just a matter of putting it together.
I went with the usual suspects of bacon and grated Parmesan, but wanting it to be gluten free, I swapped hard-boiled egg for croutons, adding some protein. Go ahead and use what you like for Caesar garnishes & additions. To really make it fun and let everyone have it the way they like it, keep everything separate. Serve it all on a big wooden board, keeping the dressing and all the garnishes in separate bowls. Everyone can help themselves, making their salad how they like it. More dressing, easy on the dressing, hold the egg…. and especially for anyone not wanting/eating bacon, they’ll really appreciate it. Everyone enjoys custom-made.
Broccoli Caesar Salad with a lighter & healthier dressing. It’s the nicest thing I’ve seen done to broccoli in a while.
- 1 lb broccoli, trimmed into florets and cooked/steamed to tender crisp
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 oz parmesan cheese
- 2 anchovy fillets (or 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce)
- 4 teasing tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 - 3 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1/2 lemon, cut into small wedges/pieces
- Finely grate the lemon zest and Parmigiano into a large bowl.
- Mince anchovies to add, or use fish sauce.
- Add yogurt, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Squeeze in juice from half the lemon, add vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper and whisk to combine.
- Taste, and adjust the seasoning if desired.
- pile the broccoli on a large serving plate or wooden board, keeping the dressing and all garnishes separate for everyone to make their own custom salad!
- *This is a great make ahead! Make any/all components in advance, keeping it all covered & stored separately in the fridge.