We all know that vegetables are good for us. They’re so good, they’re some of the very best foods we can eat. At the top of the heap of veggie goodness – are the dark green ones. If they’re not to your liking try pairing them with two of my favourite ingredients; extra virgin olive oil & garlic.
Steaming the broccoli first helps keep the colour. Especially for those that find broccoli a hard sell, serving it with it’s beautiful colour diminished to a sickly grey… what can I say. Obviously less than appetizing.
Browning garlic slices in a good fruity olive oil and adding the steamed broccoli to heat it through – is all it takes. Easy peasy. If this can turn a non-broccoli eater like me into a broccoli lover, I’ll bet it can do it for anyone!
It’s been the strong taste of broccoli that I’ve found objectionable, which reminds me of my post on broccoli Caesar salad. Strong tastes & flavours need to be matched with something strong. Full stop.
Be sure to use the entire head of broccoli – including the stems. If you peel some the tough outer layer, it’s actually very tender and tasty underneath. If you happen to have leftovers…? That’s a good thing! Add to salads, frittata, stir fry, pizza, or serve with an easy to-make dip like 5-minute garlic aioli.
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the broccoli of outer leaves. Peel the stems and cut the broccoli into florets, leaving some stem attached - where possible.
- Steam the broccoli until tender crisp, approx. 5 minutes; sprinkle with salt when it's in the steamer. Rinse with cold water, drain.
- In a skillet large enough to hold the broccoli, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the sliced garlic, stirring for several minutes until golden.
- Add the broccoli and cook, stirring until heated through. Do let some of the broccoli get charred & crispy if you can, it adds a lot to the flavour.
- Serve as a side to… anything!
- *Tip: if you LOVE garlic, feel free to add more!