When it comes to simple recipes sometimes there’s just not a lot to say, but in this case of Garlic & Herb Roasted Mini Potatoes, I’m finding it to be the opposite~
No matter what our cooking level, we all want some easy recipes. They need to be fast. They need to be good. What makes this recipe fast…? Those adorable mini potatoes that are now found everywhere. Wash them – and they’re ready to go.
Oven roasting = no peeling!
The other thing that makes this fast…? The restaurant trick of starting the cooking on the stove top, then moving to the oven.
Adding the potatoes with the rinse water still clinging, gives enough moisture for the cooking – in addition to a bit of olive oil. Using whole garlic cloves with the skin on, lightly permeates with flavour. I added three – but you could literally add as many as you want. Ditto for the sprig of fresh rosemary (but don’t go too crazy!)
After just 5 minutes on the stove top, the skillet is covered and placed in a 400° oven. If you’re not sure if the handle and/or lid holder are oven proof, wrap them in a double thickness of foil. It’s what I do. And it works every time. For the 1 lb. of potatoes used for this recipe, I used a 10″ skillet. If you double the recipe, increase your pan size accordingly. And if you don’t have a lid – use foil.
So, those whole garlic cloves… squeeze out the now sweet & gooey garlic, to spread on the potatoes. And those rosemary needles that are now quite crispy…? They are delicious. Sprinkle them over top.
The potatoes will be soft and creamy, and really don’t need anything else – except perhaps another sprinkle of salt & pepper – especially if you use the roasted garlic & rosemary. You could give them a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. If you’re not bothered about extra calories, there’s always butter and/or sour cream. Do what you like. That’s why we cook for ourselves!~
- 2 teaspoons tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. baby potatoes (red, yellow or a mix)
- 3 garlic cloves with skin on (use more as desired)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (use 1 or 2 more as desired)
- Big pinch of Kosher salt
- Big pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Put an ovenproof skillet on medium heat. Add the oil. (Wrap handles with double thickness of foil if you’re not sure.)
- Tumble in the potatoes; they should still have some rinse water clinging to them.
- Dip the garlic cloves and rosemary springs in very hot water (it’ll keep them from burning.)
- Add the garlic, rosemary, & a sprinkle of salt and pepper; swirl around to coat.
- Put the skillet in the oven and bake covered for 25 - 30 minutes, giving the pan a good swirl (for even cooking) at least once.
- Bake until golden brown and soft inside (check with a sharp knife).
- Let cool slightly and serve with the garlic cloves for mashing. Save the crispy rosemary needles to sprinkle over top.