It’s the season for all things pumpkin, and this elegant and delicious Easy Spiced Pumpkin Mousse should be in your repertoire!
With the flavours of traditional pumpkin pie, you’ll enjoy this lighter tasting pumpkin dessert – that’s also gluten free. Be sure to buy canned pure pumpkin, NOT the one marked pumpkin pie filling (already pre-sweetened and with spices added.)
Lightly sweetened and spiced with the taste of pumpkin pie, this recipe makes great use of canned pumpkin! Absolutely delicious served as is, this is also a great recipe to serve a crowd – making about 6 cups of light, lovely mousse. Served in half cup portions, you could serve up to 12 people.
Very good for you nutritionally, pumpkin is a great source of Vitamin A, contains fibre and iron, and is also fat-free. Tremendously versatile, pumpkin can be used in recipes such as pumpkin waffles or pumpkin muffins. And, let’s not forget for those that like their coffee flavoured… when the annual appearance of the autumn pumpkin spiced latte gets people jazzed!
Great to serve a crowd, especially after a heavy meal, you could serve smaller portions and save some for another use. Kept tightly covered in the fridge – it should keep for a couple of days. However you serve it, Easy Spiced Pumpkin Mousse is an elegant addition to your autumn kitchen.
- 1 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 2 packed tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- Few gratings from whole nutmeg
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- *Garnish: whipped cream, pinch of cinnamon
- In a large bowl add pumpkin, sugar & spices, whisk to combine, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whip the cream & icing sugar to medium peaks.
- In another medium bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt, to soft peaks
- Add 1/4 of the whipped egg whites to the pumpkin, to start to lighten it. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Fold whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture, just until no streaks remain and keeping as much volume as possible.
- Makes about 6 cups.
- *If serving as mousse, spoon into pretty glasses, cups, etc and chill for at least an hour. To serve topped with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- **To use a filling for cakes, roulade, etc. cover and store in fridge (to use within two days).