Trying to eat healthfully certainly can have it’s challenges, but it shouldn’t mean that you have to go without foods you enjoy. Take pie. Any pie. One of my faves is made with fresh summer peaches, and when they’re in season, I just can’t resist.
Having a large basket of peaches on hand with most of them perfectly ripe all at once had me
thinking knowing that I wanted to use them for dessert. While considering if they should become part of a cobbler, coffee cake, galette, or something else entirely, I spotted my heart shaped cookie cutter and this idea was formed. Call it a reverse galette. Instead of a bottom crust only, it has a top crust only – and uses what’s really a minimal amount of pastry.
Having no bottom crust/pastry this is very simple and quick to put together, especially if you have some pie pastry made and stashed in your freezer. The short baking time really helps preserve the fresh taste of perfectly ripe summer peaches.
Don’t worry if the pastry heart cut outs aren’t perfect. They’ll simply add charm to your home-made hand-made dessert. For pastry try this newest addition to my repertoire, used in this fabulous Strawberry Rhubarb Galette or use your favourite. At most you need pastry for one 9″ pie shell. Be sure to make extra hearts of any leftover dough. Bake them like cookies to serve with the pie, or as a cook’s treat to snack on!
I call this having your pie and eating it too! Life is too short to go without. By using less pastry, it’s also a shorter cooking time. The taste of juicy summer peaches really comes through, and the thin & crisp pastry heart topping adds the perfect amount of texture – and the taste of pie.
You really won’t believe how fresh the taste is, in this Easy as Pie Peach Pie that’s-technically-not-a-pie.
- Pastry for 1x 9” pie shell
- 8 fresh summer peaches, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- For egg wash: 1 egg lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Butter a 9” pie plate and set aside.
- Peel very ripe peaches over a large bowl to catch the juices. Cut peaches into 6 - 8 wedges and add to juices in bowl.
- Add in remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- Roll out pastry and using cookie cutter, cut into shapes (heart, star, etc)
- Stir peach filling, then add to buttered pie plate. Top with pastry hearts in any pattern you like, leaving some of the fruit visible. Brush pastry with egg wash and place in oven.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 350° and bake for approximately 20 minutes, until pasty hearts are golden and peach filling is bubbling.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Dust with sifted icing sugar to serve. Also great with ice cream, vanilla yogurt or whipped cream.